The Big Wheel

The Big Wheel
I appear bigger in real life.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Gargoyles and other hangers on.

I'd like to introduce another theme here that's been one of my photographic interests for years.

Blech
I've always been fascinated by the creatures that sit or cling to walls and roofs, the ones that strive under window casements, and those that are stuck away in isolated nooks and crannies. Often, particularly in this busy world of ours, these silent sentinels are ignored or forgotten. They are also, even though cast in stone, aging.


Here are a few examples from Westminister Abbey (old churches, gothic ones in particular, are often great locations for gargoyle hunting).


The only problem is that they mostly occupy the higher realms.


Figures out of nightmare, figures out of time, many appearing to be quite ticked off.

I spy with my little eye something that is...
And mixed in with the menagerie of creatures are often the faces of people.

No comments: